Saturday, July 11, 2009

My mother is my hero & the ongoing tales of baby S.

Tonight I realized that I have yet to blog about my job as a nanny for cute little Baby S. But first let me tell you about the rest of my day...

Today I woke up at seven only to lay in bed until nine, when I realized that I needed to return a DVD to the library by ten to avoid the hefty one dollar a day fine. Then I decided to stop by Target and Nordstrom Rack while I was out and about, only the rack wasn't open yet. So I sat in the parking lot for about ten minutes with at least twenty other over-zealous bargain hunter/label whores. I kid you not, there were plenty of women just waiting for the doors to open on an ordinary day.

Then came the coffee house hang out with an old friend. Said hang out was very uncomfortable in part because I was overdressed for the hot weather and we were sitting outside, but also because of little nuggets of conversation like this:

"Do you masturbate?"
"Umm, no."
"You should."
(silence)
Did I mention that I haven't seen this friend in about two years?? She then went on to tell me about how she had been reading feminist literature and has a big problem with the Mormon church for oppressing their women and denying them masturbation. She then diagnosed that I need more caffeine and sexual expression in my life. What does that even mean? Expressing your sexuality. People use that phrase all the time and I have never been able to figure it out.

Hmm there is a lot that could be said about this meeting, but I'm not sure I have the words to express it so I will move on to my evening with Baby S.

Tonight was the fist time I have attempted his bedtime routine and parts of it went well. I took him to the park were he took a little nap while I sat under a willow tree. I felt like all the old couple taking walks with their dogs were staring at me and I was tempted several times to shout "He's not my baby!" but didn't. My favorite part was when I put him in a swing and a couple came by and were seriously cooing at him. Then came the problem of putting him to sleep. He was quiet for a few minutes then started screaming on and off for an hour. I kept going in and trying everything. I finally called my mom who suggested he might have gas and that I should burp him (I had picked him up, but had only cradled him). I put him up on my shoulder and within two pat he let out a burp that I didn't know he could contain and calmed right down.

Unfortunately he woke up screaming over an hour later. Failure.

No comments: