Monday, June 14, 2010

Super June(ior)


I really struggled coming up with this month's display for the Lost & Found. We had Mustache May and so I was trying to keep up with the alliteration, but the best I could some up with was "June Bugs"--not good. I think my legacy at the Lost & Found might lie in my bizarre displays:

We have already received a lot of feedback on the display. An older asian lady came in and asked me who they were

"They are from a Korean boy band." I said.
"Are they in America?"
"No, they are in Korea."
"Well, a lot of Koran movies are big in Japan."
"?"
"They are really cute."

The End.

Also, every once and a while as I walk through the bookstore I notice one particular thing--and desire it. So, today I am making the public announcement that I WILL have on one day:
A library ladder!!! I am very excited about my decision.

Lastly, I made the mistake of barreling through the "Warning the following video contains some disturbing images which may not be suitable for children or sensitive adults" sign, and apparently forgot that NSFW means "Not suitable for work" (I was watching it at work, but back in my office so it didn't really matter). ANYWAY. I was trying to watch the new Flaming Lips video, and found myself incredibly squeamish.

I didn't make it very far into the video so I'm not sure if any of this was supposed to have significant symbolism, but the video started with a man slowly slicing down the finger of a girl who was naked and tied up and then she was painting her blood all over the place. The razor blade reminded me of "Un Chien Andelou", an avante garde film that Salvador Dali worked on. It's mentioned in the Pixies song "Debaser" because at the beginning you just see a girl sitting still, and a man come up behind her and slices her eyeball open with a razor blade. But here it is symbolic of the meta-discourse of the film--Dali is showing the audience how he is able to manipulate what we see through his art.
I'm not sure if I can make it through the whole music video, but now I'm really curious as to whether there is a greater meaning to the video or if it's just supposed to be shocking.

1 comment:

Liz said...

AHHH SUPER JUNIOR! BEST MONTH EVER.