Monday, April 5, 2010

Life in the Dragon Lane

Today it seems like everyone want to talk about General Conference, which I love--General Conference that is, but if I have to sit through another conversations like this:

"Conference was just great"
"Yeah."
"I love conference"
"Me too."

I might just scream.

Every conference is inspired and good. I'm all for spiritual conversations and personal insight, but the generalizations I keep hearing make it feel like, at least this week, conference is being reduced to something akin to talking about the weather.


hmm. I did in fact have a great if not sedate conference weekend in which I saw "How to Train Your Dragon" which was the most fun I've had at a movie in a while, although it did leave some side effects. One being the intense desire to adopt a pet dragon, the other being an insatiable urge to substitute the word "dragon" for the subject of every sentence I hear (you should try dragons. Dragons are fun.).

The movie also reminded me of my sister Bridget's sage advice, "You shouldn't name your child Astrid, that's like naming them uranus."

Sunday morning I awoke to snow at Jack's house and we carried her bright blue kitchen table out into the living room where we ate breakfast and the morning was happy and peaceful.

I also rediscovered some of my favorite childhood cartoons (another effect of my dragon obsession).








No comments: