Tuesday, July 26, 2011

'Pressed

So are you ready to hear about my awesome weekend? I drove with my horseshoe cousin (is that even a real term? She's my cousin's cousin.) to eastern Washington where I stayed with her family and learned to letterpress!

We were talking about it beforehand and decided we wanted to do postcards so we designed some the week before and sent them off to be turned into printing plates! Here are some of my favorites:
We chose and mixed the colors for the first two--and I will say that ink is surprisingly stickier than you would imagine. We did a plain line on the back to mark where the postage and address goes. I learned about how paper has a grain, just like fabric--and just like sewing most of the work is in the setup. Once we had all the plates in place it was pretty easy to crank out stacks of postcards.

I also loved being out in the country for the weekend; in a place where I didn't have any cellphone reception and downtown has two traffic lights. We ate at this diner called Top Notch that had a sign advertising "The world's greatest burger outside. It reminded me of elf, but my burger was pretty good as well as the moose track shake we shared! And apparently Bill Gates had eaten there! I was sorely disappointed that the thrift store called "Classically Trendy" was closed. I guess that means I have to go back, which is good since a part of me wanted to stay in the country forever.

PS. I am getting my hair cut tomorrow and I have no idea what I'm going to do!

2 comments:

A Mitton said...

1) Which eastern Washington town? I know several.

2) I AM SO RIDICULOUSLY JEALOUS YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA. Goodness. So cool. Also, I want to show you the book cover I redesigned for my class. It's awesome, if I do say so myself.

KirstieBirstie said...

Colfax! And your book cover on your blog looks awesome!