Saturday, December 25, 2010

Saturday is a Special Day



Even when it's not Christmas. But today was extra special. I got a pair of button up pajamas that are just like Slughorn's from Harry Potter, and I learned how to polish shoes. Truth be told, I have always wanted to know how, especially since my dad has this shoe polishing kit that used to be my Grandpa's.

(Sorry the picture is backwards, but I used photobooth since my camera is still broken, but I bet you can figure out what it says--and there is my shoe on the right!)

I fell in my purple leather booties on my way to Church, when I was at school many months ago (Geneva should remember the fall and the resulting purple streak on the sidewalk). I scuffed the shoes pretty badly and kept meaning to ask my dad if polish could cover it up but never did.

I asked him tonight, since my sister wants to borrow the shoes, he took one look at the shoes and said, "Yeah, that's cordovan."

Baffled, I said "No, they're purple."

My dad then explained that mens shoes come in three colors: black, brown, and cordovan (which is a rich shade of burgundy--kind of purple). I love that my dad knows all about these things, and it demonstrated one of the reasons I love menswear so much, it has so much history. While women's fashion changes quite rapidly (also most women wear mainly sportswear these days) but menswear has changed very little, and especially having made a mens dress shirt I know that quality mens clothing is very intricate and interesting.

My dad also told me how when he was a kid his dad would pay him 25 cents for each shoe he polished.

I now know all about shoe polishing, my shoes look great, and I love this shoe brush. I couldn't get a good picture because I was using Photobooth--but it is metal and looks like it could be from the 1800's.

If you need me to polish your shoes let me know, I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!


No comments: